welcome

Welcome to my "meet the artist" blog; designed to couple with website AnOriginalHitt Latest In The News: Plein Air Magazine Outdoor Painter Featured Artwork You may become 'a follower' for updates. Questions? orighitt@gmail.com
May it be an UP day! k

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Same Location, Different View ?

Dusk At...Dock- Plein Air Oil- K.Hitt Copyright All Rights
Same location, is it the same view? The first time sitting here, the goal was to quickly catch an impression of the colors quickly passing through.









This first, done the last time VPA visited this wonderful property that's owner kindly shares with us. Last Saturday, had the luxury of sitting out at the end of the dock once again, under my umbrella listening to the sound of jumping fish as tried once again to capture the view. These Mangroves so intrigue me... and how the water moves in and out with the tide.
Low Tides Calm- Plein Air Oil- K. Hitt Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved
The next time painting this scene, shall use these plein air references for a larger studio piece.  Have sketches of the birds that use these same mangroves for their roost as they fish... or preen.. or simply seek shelter.  A beautiful spot, that so enjoy the opportunity to paint, especially en plein air.  No criticisms meant to any who love the art of photography, but as a painter, can not ignore how the light is shed on a subject.  It simply can not be fully reproduced by a camera lens. Though it can be beautifully captured indeed...  the effects of the light, and trying to depict those little light bulbs and make them go off on the canvas... is the finishing touches on each plein air painting.  They are not quite all here on this last... shared here is simply a quick photo taken with my phone of the work in progress.  Think will save this piece to be simply 'en plein air' reference that it is. Another area of study for myself, is the area of atmospheric perspective.  It remains my greatest challenge to achieve en plein air.  I will take it as good news that I am not done learning it myself yet, for that means once again I surely will find myself sitting out at the end of a dock. More good news, is the canvas above is the same canvas that I had a another first experience with.  It is the canvas that I wiped the days painting off of the week before.  So progress indeed! This Monday VPA is out and about again.  As I have been spending countless hours in the studio of late, working on illustrations.  Plein Air, has taken on an added importance.  It helps me to see how to paint, like nothing else can.  I always marvel as I study some of the Master artist's works that I so love.  One of my favorite paintings of all time "Lilly Lilly Carnation Rose" by John Singer Sargent was completely painted outdoors on location.  The effects of light on that scene one of the greatest challenges of his subject.

I have two little post-its that always hang next to my easel in the studio.
One post-it: Sargent's 5 types of light; 1. light 2. shadow 3. midtone 4. accent (can either be darkest or lightest) 5. reflective. 
The other post-it: John Carlson 4 types of light, lightest to darkest; 1. Sky 2. ground plane 3. slanted planes 4. uprights.

As many artist in history depicted the same subject more than once.  We too can take our lessons from the 'Masters' ...Monet for example with his Haystacks, or Cathedral. Review them for yourself.  The effects of light on a scene... at different times of the day, so cast it into a different view completely. If you enjoy painting... allow yourself the luxury too of capturing a scene from life.  Photography is an excellent tool for reference indeed, but nothing can match learning to capture the effect of light from life.  Same location, different view? Try the exercise yourself perhaps... either do a sketch or painting from a photograph, then try to do the same location from life.  Or perhaps, as here, two different times of the day at the same location.  How has the view changed before you? If a full landscape is overwhelming to start... perhaps a simple still life is a better place to begin.  The key is to give yourself the luxury of live observation and trying to depict it.  There is much to be learned there, that can not be learned any other way. 

I look forward to getting to start my painting week once again en plein air with VPA monday morning out and about.  So thankful that we never stop learning... and I so look forward to what I have to learn next. 
May it be an UP day! Paint away! K


1 comment:

Archangel said...

The words of the author seem to reveal something that is seen...yet not observed..as the strokes of her brush..bring to life..and allow us to see...that which we sometimes overlook... the Majesty and Beauty... of The Creator